Sweet Potato Gnocchi and Broccoli Pesto
Updated: Oct 3, 2019
A delicious veggie packed dinner high in fibre and loaded with flavour. The pesto is a great as a sauce, dip or spread for the next week. Kids will love getting involved making their own gnocchi into any shape or size.
Cook Time: 40 mins
Shelf life: Gnocchi - 2 days, Pesto - 7 days
2 Sweet Potatoes
2 Cups wholemeal spelt flour
1/3 Cup Pine nuts
1 Garlic Clove
1 Cup Basil
1 Cup Kale
1/3 Cup Olive Oil
Squeeze of Lemon
1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese (optional)
1. Boil sweet potatoes and broccoli, then wait to cool. Leave broccoli to one side.
2. Get the kids to mash them up in a big mixing bowl.
3. Crack in 2 eggs and add the almond meal. Once combined, ask the kids again to mix all the ingredients together with their fingers and form little balls to become the gnocchi (think rustic) or to refine, use a fork on one side of the ball to flatten.
4. Bake in the oven at 180 degrees for 20 mins on a tray.
5. Roast garlic and pine nuts on a tray until golden brown (careful not to burn).
6. Combine oil, basil, kale, broccoli, lemon, garlic and pine nuts (optional parmesan) in a food. processor and blend until a paste.
7. Place baked gnocchi on a plate and spoon over pesto.
Sweet Potato – High in vitamin A which is essential for growth and development.
Kale – A natural source of calcium for strong bones.
Broccoli - A great source of folate which helps the production of healthy red blood cells.